Benchmark indices BSE Sensex and NSE Nifty gained over 1.50 per cent on Tuesday as investors were in a buoyant mood after a weak US jobs data that reduced hopes of an interest-rate hike by the Fed. The 30-share index Sensex closed 445.91 points up at 28978.02, while NSE Nifty gained 133.35 points at 8,943.
Below are 5 things you should know before market opens on Wednesday:
1) Nifty futures on the Singapore Stock Exchange (SGX Nifty) was up 21.50 points at 8987.50 (at 7.59 am (IST)), indicating a positive start of domestic equity markets.
2) Asian peers were trading mixed in the morning deals. Hang Seng and Shanghai were trading higher by 0.02 per cent and 0.44 per cent, respectively, in the morning trade. Nikkei was down 0.67 per cent at the same time.
3) Overall market capitalisation of BSE-listed companies on Tuesday surged to a lifetime high of over Rs 112 lakh crore.
4) On Wall Street, the Dow Jones Industrial Average index gained 46.16 points to 18,538.12 on Tuesday. The Standard & Poor’s 500 index advanced 6.50 points to 2,186.48. The Nasdaq Composite index gained 26.01 points to close at a record 5,275.91.
5) Stocks in focus: Standalone net profit of Oil India slipped by 33.47 per cent to Rs 494.41 crore for the first quarter ended June 30, 2016 against Rs 743.21 crore in the same quarter last year.
Larsen & Toubro will also remain in focus on Wednesday. The company on Tuesday said it has supplied the country’s first indigenously developed high integrity pressure protection system (HIPPS) to Dirok Gas Field Development Project in Assam.