Domestic benchmark indices BSE Sensex and NSE Nifty snapped a two-day winning streak on Wednesday on account of profit booking in recent winners amid mixed global cues on caution ahead of European Central Bank’s meet. Sensex closed 51.66 points down at 28926.36 on Wednesday, while Nifty 50 index settled 25.05 points down at 8,917.95. In the Nifty 50 index, BHEL, Bank of Baroda, ONGC, State Bank of India and ICICI Bank gained between 1.93 per cent and 15.75 per cent. On the other hand, YES Bank, Asian Paints, GAIL, Tech Mahindra and HDFC slipped between 1.69 per cent and 2.43 per cent.
Below are 5 things you should know before the markets open on Thursday:
1) Nifty futures on the Singapore Stock Exchange (SGX Nifty) were trading 5 points down at 8954 (at 8.05 am (IST)), indicating a flat start with negative bias.
2) Asian peers were trading mixed in the morning trade. Hang Seng was up by 0.12 per cent, while Nikkei and Shanghai were trading down by 0.20 per cent and 0.01 per cent, respectively.
3) On Wall Street, the Dow Jones Industrial Average index slipped 11.98 points to 18,526.14 on Tuesday. The S&P 500 index declined 0.32 points to 2,186.16. The Nasdaq Composite index closed 8.02 points up at 5,283.93.
4) Stocks in focus: Steel Authority of India (SAIL) and Jindal Steel and Power (JSPL) will announce their financial results for the quarter ended June 30, 2016 on Thursday.
5) TCS will also remain in focus on Thursday. The IT major on Wednesday recognised as a leader among 28 companies for the sixth consecutive year for its industry leading domain solutions, strong delivery and execution capabilities.