Domestic equity markets are likely to open higher on Thursday tracking Nifty futures on the Singapore Stock Exchange (SGX Nifty) and mixed global cues. The 30-share Sensex closed 69.73 points up at 28059 on Wednesday on account of mild buying in IT, pharma and PSU stocks. The 50-share Nifty index closed 17.70 points up at 8,650.30.
Below are five things you should know before the market opens:
1) At 7.44 am, SGX Nifty was trading higher by 14 points, or 0.16 per cent, at 8669, indicating a positive start in the domestic stock markets.
2) Asian peers Nikkei and Shanghai were trading down by 0.25 per cent and 0.62 per cent, respectively, in the morning trade. On the other hand, Hang Seng was trading higher by 0.12 per cent.
3) Domestic equity markets are likely to remain volatile on Thursday on account of F&O expiry.
4) On Wall Street, the Dow Jones Industrial Average closed 65.82 points down at 18,481.48 on Wednesday, the S&P 500 lost 11.46 points to 2,175.44 and the Nasdaq Composite slipped by 42.38 points to 5,217.70.
5) Earnings today: Companies such as San Froid Labs, Polymac Thermoformers, Jyoti Structures, Jolly Merchandise and Gammon Infrastructure will announce their financial results for the quarter ended June 30, 2016 on Thursday.