Benchmark indices BSE Sensex and NSE Nifty ended in red on F&O expiry day on Thursday as the 50-share index closed 58.10 points down at 8592.20, while the 30-share index settled 224.03 points down at 27835.91. On Thursday, stocks such as Wipro, Adani Ports, Idea Cellular and Zeel stood among top losers in the Nifty 50-pack. On the other hand, BHEL, BPCL, GAIL, ITC and HCL Technologies gained the most. Below are five things you should know before the market opens on Friday:
1) SGX Nifty indicates a positive start in the domestic equity markets. At 7.55 am (IST), SGX Nifty was trading 15.50 points up at 8657.
2) Asian peers, Hang Seng and Shanghai were trading higher by 0.71 per cent and 0.18 per cent in the morning trade. However, Nikkei was down by 1.01 per cent.
3) On Wall Street, The Dow Jones Industrial Average index slipped by 33.07 points, or 0.18 per cent, to 18,448.41, the S&P 500 declined 2.97 points, or 0.14 per cent, to 2,172.47 and the Nasdaq Composite shed 5.49 points, or 0.11 percent, to 5,212.20.
4) Stocks in focus: Nalco on Thursday announced that its Rs 2,835 crore offer to buyback 64.43 crore shares will open on August 30. The Reserve Bank of India on Thursday retained State Bank of India (SBI) and ICICI Bank, the nation’s top two lenders by assets, as ‘domestic systemically important banks’, or the equivalent as ‘too big to fail’ for a second consecutive year.
5) Earnings Today: Pratibha Industries, JBF Industries, Abbott India and Triveni Engineering will announce their financial results for the quarter ended June 30, 2016 on Friday.