1. How raisins can ruin your teeth

How raisins can ruin your teeth

You may want to think twice about giving your children raisins, a dentist has suggested. While acknowledged to be nutritionally and developmentally beneficial, even healthy food items can adversely affect a child's dental health and cause severe problems in later life, the Mirror reported.

By: | Published: November 16, 2015 12:39 PM

You may want to think twice about giving your children raisins, a dentist has suggested. While acknowledged to be nutritionally and developmentally beneficial, even healthy food items can adversely affect a child’s dental health and cause severe problems in later life, the Mirror reported.

Saara Sabir, a practising dentist and mum-of-one from Salford, said that the most serious culprit of tooth decay was raisins and dried fruit, adding that many parents think they’re a good option because they’re packed with vitamins, but the concentrated sugar content in dried fruit is extremely detrimental to a child’s teeth.

She noted that a small packet of raisins has around 8 teaspoons worth of sugar in. As per the NHS, the recommended daily sugar allowance for children aged four to six years-old is no more than five sugar cubes. For children aged seven to ten, it is no more than six.

The reason dried fruit poses a particular danger is also because of its consistency. Saara continues that raisins are sticky and get stuck in teeth. Therefore the bacteria have a prolonged source of sugar, so it can cause decay for a longer period of time.

She, however, said that because of the nutritional value, it’s better to give your child raisins as a dessert or part of a meal rather than a snack.

Calculate your income tax post budget 2018 through this Income Tax Calculator, get latest news on Budget 2018 and Auto Expo 2018. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Tags: Dietary Tips
  1. No Comments.

Go to Top