1. Counterfeit drugs pose global threat for HIV/AIDS, malaria & tuberculosis patients: Study

By: | Washington | Published: April 22, 2015 4:00 PM
medicines, poor quality medicines, hiv aids, aids, tuberculosis, malaria, Counterfeit drugs, science, health news

Poor quality medicines pose a real and urgent threat in the treatment of HIV/AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis, researchers have warned. (Reuters)

Scientists report in a collection of journal articles that up to 41 per cent of specimens failed to meet quality standards in global studies of about 17,000 drug samples.

One of the articles described the discovery of falsified and substandard malaria drugs that caused an estimated 122,350 deaths in African children in 2013.

Other studies identified poor quality antibiotics, which may harm health and increase antimicrobial resistance.

However, new methodologies are being developed to detect problem drugs at the point of purchase and show some promise, scientists said.

Several articles suggest policy interventions, including an international framework and the adoption of stricter laws against drug counterfeiting.

“This problem continues to spread globally, creating an even greater challenge to cooperation among stakeholders, many with limited resources,” noted Joel Breman, senior scientist emeritus at the National Institutes of Health’s Fogarty International Center.

“The need is urgent for collaboration among those with expertise in policy, science, technology, surveillance, epidemiology and logistics, in order to secure global supply chains,” said Breman.

Scientists inspected the quality of about 16,800 samples of anti-malarials, anti-tuberculosis medicines, antibiotics and anti-leishmaniasis drugs and reported from 9 to 41 per cent failed to meet the specifications.

Seven separate studies were carried out, primarily in low-resource settings, and included samples from public and private sources.

“The pandemic of falsified and substandard medicines is pervasive and underestimated, particularly in low- and middle-income countries where drug regulatory systems are weak or non-existent, as shown by field studies in the supplement,” said Jim Herrington, director of the University of North Carolina’s Gillings Global Gateway at Chapel Hill.

An urgent and coordinated international response is required to address the pandemic of poor quality drugs, the scientists said.

The research articles are published in The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene.

For Updates Check Health News; follow us on Facebook and Twitter

1. E
    Eduard Briceno
    Jan 27, 2017 at 1:57 pm
    I want to appreciate the great work of Dr Alabi, i have been diagnosed of HIV al for some months, i have lose all hope that there is cure and i have been taken medicine to sustain myself not until i got to know about Dr Alabi, i contacted him and he sent me a Herbal Medicine which i took as prescribed by him for some days and i went to the hospital after finishing the Herbal medicine. To my greatest surprise i was confirmed HIV Negative after months of being positive, it is indeed a miracle.You can contact him for help. Email:{ } or visit his website on or call his Mobil number or whatsapp: 2348146226679
      Jason Jack
      Jan 27, 2017 at 2:13 pm
        Jason Jack
        Jan 27, 2017 at 1:58 pm
          Mrs Joyce
          May 9, 2015 at 10:07 pm
          o everyone,My name ares Joyce Levinius a citizen of USA,I want to testify of the good Loan Lender who showed light to me after been scammed by 2 different Internet international lenders, they all promised to give me a loan after making me pay a lot of fees which yield nothing and amounted to no positive result. i lost my hard earn money and it was a total sum of 3,000Uusd. One day as i was browsing through the internet looking frustrated when i came across a testimony of a man who was also scammed and eventually got linked to a legit loan company called Aliko Dangote Loan Company,where he finally got his loan,So i decided to contact the same loan company and then i told them my story on how i have been scammed by 2 different lenders who did nothing but to course me more pain.I explained to the company by mail and all they told me was to cry no more because am in the right company i will get my loan in their company and also i have made the right choice of contacting them. i filled the loan application form that was given to me by this great company and proceeded with all that was requested of me and I was given a loan amount of $100,000.00 Dollars by this great Company (Aliko Dangote Loan Company} managed by Mr Aliko Dangote and here i am today happy because Aliko Dangote Loan Company has given me a loan so i made a vow to myself that i will keep testifying on the internet on how i got my loan.If you are out there,My dear beloved brothers/sisters looking for real loan company,I will advice you to kindly and quickly contact Aliko Dangote Loan Company now for your loan via email:,and he is a God fearing loan lender,And i know that they will never let you down.... Mrs Joyce Levinius
            deboarh romas
            May 11, 2015 at 1:44 pm
            My Name is son Stella from ZAMBIA, i am here to give my testimony about a doctor who help me in my life. I was infected with HIV virus in the 2012,i went to many hospitals,churches for cure but there was no solution out, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that i cannot loose my life, I lost everything I have my husband run away from me and also took my children along because of my sickness. One day I was in the river side thinking the next step to take if it is to jump into the river so that I can loose my life totally or just think where I can go to get solution. so a lady walk to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to him telling her my stories, she told me that she can help me out that’s the reason she normally come here to help people so that thy can be cured because she was into this problem before, she introduce me to a doctor who cast spells on people and gave me he number and email so i called him and also email him. He told me all the things I need to provide and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening he called me and told me that i should go for medical check up, called Dr Cuba for your solutions now at add him on watsapp 2347038965900
            1. Jack Ponton
              Apr 30, 2015 at 1:36 am
              1. Jack Ponton
                Apr 30, 2015 at 1:36 am
                o Dr. Ariba is real and he's powerful, I'm Jack Ponton and in from Atlanta Georgia, i was diagnosed with Genital Herpes And HIV/AIDS, I started taking some vitamins and other prescribed medications but i wasn't cured, I saw a comment about Dr. Ariba on how he cured someone with herbal medicine, and it takes 21 days for the patient to get cured, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions he started the remedies for my health, he sent me the medicine VIA EMS SPEED POST. I received the parcel a week later, so I started taking the medicine as prescribed by him, within 21 days i started to see some changes in my body, and before the completion of the 21 days i was cured, so I'm urging you to contact him for help, he's the only one that help you get cured from the virus and once you are cured you are cured forever, its not reversible okay! you can reach him on , ............
                1. Jack Ponton
                  Apr 30, 2015 at 2:46 am
                  o friends, I’m from Austria I want to tell the w world about the good deeds DR.ARIBA did for me, I was diagnosed of a cancer disease (liver cancer), I was told by my family doctor, that I have only 8 months to live on planet earth, I was so depressed, I was thinking about my family, I don’t want to leave them behind, THEN i heard that Dr ARIBA is curing HIV/AIDS in that case he can also cure your cancer disease, I never believe in spell and herbs, I collected his email from him, then I contacted him via email, he told me not to bother myself, that everything will be alright, I believed him, due to the way he said it. He asked me to purchase some items, which I did, he casted the spell and tell me that am free from the bondage, he also asked me to go for checkup, the CANCER disappeared from my body totally, I am forever in debt to him, I owe you a lot Doctor. If you have any deadly disease like HIV/AIDS, ALL TYPES OF CANCER, GONORRHEA, SYPHILIS, and ANEMIA any disease you can think off. Kindly email him now on or