Basant Panchami 2018 marks the onset of spring. The festival follows the Hindu calendar and falls on the auspices fifth day (panchami) of the lit fortnight (Shukla Paksha) of lunar month of Magh. Basant Panchami, 2018 will be celebrated on January 22, 2017. According to Drikpanchang, the Panchami Tithi begins at 3:33 pm on January 21 and will end at 4:24 pm on January 22, 2018. Basant Panchami celebrated by Hindus, the festivals observed on this day include Saraswati Puja also known as Shree Panchami, Basant Festival of Kites in Punjab and Haryana, Sufi Basant and more. People visit the temple and offer prayers to Goddess Saraswati – the deity of knowledge, music, arts, science and technology on Vasant Panchami. Along with students, schools and educational institutions perform puja to seek blessing from the goddess as well, and the famous Saraswati shloka, Ya Kundendu, is recited by most.
Om Bhadro Kallyoi Namo Nityang
Saraswatyoi Namo Namah
Veda Vedanta Vedanga
Ebacho esso swachandana
Om Oing Shree Shree Saraswatoi Namoh
Om Jay Jay Debi Characharo Sare
Kuchojugo Shobhito Mukta Hare
Veena Ranjito Pustaka Haste
Bhagobati Bharati Debi Namohstute
Om Saraswati Maha Bhage
Vidya Kamolo Lochone
Vidyang dehi namohastute
Basant Panchami 2018 – Saraswati Puja Vidhi:
According to Drikpanchang, puja vidhi must have five steps:
1. Dhyana: Puja begins with the meditation of Saraswati. Dhyana should be done in front of books symbolically representing Goddess Saraswati.
2. Avahan: After meditation of Saraswati, invoke goddess in front of books with mantra. While calling Bhagwati Saraswati your hands should be folded and the thumbs should be put inwards.
3. Pushpanjali: Once invocation of Goddess Saraswati takes place, take five flowers in Anjali (by joining palm of both hands) and leave them in front books to offer the seat to Saraswati while chanting pushpanjali mantra.
4. Nav Upchara Puja: After this perform Saraswati Puja with Chandan, Akshata, Pushpa, Dhoop, Deep and Naivedhya while chanting mantra.
5. Puja samarpan: After doing Puja as described above, take Gandha, Akshata and Pushpa in left hand and leave them over books with right hand while chanting following samarpan mantra.
The Panchami Tithi will begin at 3:33 pm on January 21 and will end at 4:24 pm on January 22, 2018. Vasant Panchami Puja Muhurta is said to between 07:13 am to 12:34 pm. Duration of the muhurat will be 5 Hours 21 Mins. The Puja has more influence when worshippers recite Saraswati hymn of praise along with the other rituals.