After Hours with Bidisha Nagaraj, Group President Marketing, Coffee Day Group
1. The job: I love the fact that I am in a youth oriented business and have the power to influence the thinking of the youth on a day to day basis. Not to forget the endless cups of cappuccino that fuel these marketing strategies. I also love the fact that the age difference between my team and me is just about a decade and it helps me stay young and always ‘with it’.
There is nothing that I hate about my job but yes, there are times when you are frustrated because you want to break through the clutter and get to the consumers who are suffering from a communication overload.
2. The weekdays: My day is extremely productive when I start with an hour of zumba dance at 6.20 am! I normally like to finish all my team meetings in the first half of the day and keep the second half for more strategic work. My direction to the team is that we are a 19-year-old start-up; so the approach to work has to be extremely nimble because our consumer is real-time always. Two days a week I work out of the cafes and these are my high points of the week. There is nothing more enriching for a marketer than to find a workplace in the middle of consumers and embrace and absorb their behaviour and the engagement levels with the brand. There are long days but by and large I like to practise a healthy work-life balance. The luxuries of working with a café giant is that there is never any dearth of stimulation, both professionally and personally! We are spread across 210 cities in over 1400 locations—it can’t get more challenging for a marketeer then this.
3. The weekend: Weekends are a family affair. I like to spend my time with my 9-year-old daughter. We definitely play a game of badminton or go cycling. The fun part about working for brand CCD is that even the weekend visits to the café can turn into fun times. I do catch up on my reading and try my hand at cooking new recipes.
4. The toys: I am an Apple fan. I am totally connected with Apple gadgets. Apart from my Mac and my iPhone, there’s also the iPad on which I do my reading. I entertain myself via Apple TV. Next stop is the Apple watch.
5. The logos: Café Coffee Day is my most favourite brand. I would have said this even if I wasn’t working for the company.
—As told to Banasree Purkayastha