In another rarely heard incident involving sleeping with a smartphone on charge, an Australian woman, Melanie Tan Palaez woke up with 2nd-degree burns on her arm. Speaking to News.com.au, Melanie said that after her visit to the hospital, the doctors informed her that the flesh had been burnt by a foreign object, which she later determined were an iPhone 7 on charge. Melanie said that they tried to match the burnt marks on her arms to the phone and charger.
Of course, this is Melanie’s mere assumption and the story might not check out. Apple informed News.com.au that its officials were in contact with Melanie and were investigating the case for more details. Although it is not completely impossible, there have been very few claims such as these in the past. Burn incidents involving laptops have also emerged in the past.
An incident like Melanie’s burns might be a result of bad habits that deliver the worst results when the devices are on charge. A smartphone or a laptop is often designed in a way to exhale excess heat when it is being charged but if it covered or in any way is blocked from doing so, it has the tendency to transfer that excess heat to whatever it is in contact with, in this case, Melanie’s arm. Although, it has to be noted that it doesn’t explode like the Note 7, which was due to a battery defect in the smartphone