In yet another unfortunate incident, a replacement Samsung Galaxy Note 7 device caught fire. Earlier this week, a Galaxy Note 7 had caught fire in a Southwest Airline plane, where smoke was seen rising from the device. Now there are two more reports of fire and injury due to overheating. A 13-year-old girl, Abby Zuis told KSTP, that a burning sensation was felt by her when she was holding her device. The smartphone reportedly got heated up to a point that it melted the cover in which it was put. In another report also, a Kentucky man, said that when he woke up early in the morning and found that his room was filled with smoke and his smartphone (Note 7) was on fire. The situation was so bad that he was admitted to a hospital suffering from acute bronchitis because of inhaling of the smoke.
He later told reporters that he thought since the devices were a replacement, it would be safe, so had plugged it in when he went to sleep. In many reports, it has been said that the tech major Samsung, already knew about the incident which happened in the South West airline flight, yet did not say anything about it. A Samsung spokesperson told Verge, “We want to reassure our customers that we take every report seriously. Customers safety remains our highest priority as we are investigating the matter.” In India, the DGCA (Directorate General of Civil Aviation) issued a fresh advisory, even though it had lifted a previous ban regarding the usage of Galaxy Note 7 smartphones.
Samsung had told that there will be no problem with the devices which have been bought after September 15, after having recalled close to 2.5 million of Note 7 devices from 10 markets globally. Samsung should have called the replacement devices back as well, after the first incident itself. Needless to say, the Galaxy Note 7 is a fundamentally defective device.