A new report has surfaced that the Samsung’s Galaxy Note 7 was exploding because of a big flaw in its design. The report by Instrumental.Ai claimed that when the battery was intact inside, the smartphone was so slim that it gave very little enclosure area for the battery which resulted in it getting swelled up. The recalling of Galaxy Note 7 has caused Samsung billions of dollars as revenue loss. In a regular Li-Polymer smartphone battery, there are Polymer layers which are submerged in negative and positive electrolytes which in turn also function as electrodes. When the positive electrode releases the positive ions towards the negative electrode through a conductive liquid medium, electricity is generated. The liquid is known as an electrolyte. To make sure that the electrodes do not touch each other there is a separator layer present between the polymer layers which also prevents an explosion.
The report said that the Samsung Galaxy Note 7’s big battery was aggressively made slim enough to fit into the thin body of the device. This essentially resulted in the electrodes getting too near each other as they were packed too near each other. This makes them vulnerable to a collision which was imminent under such pressure. These were made more susceptible when the phones were kept on charging. The report also said that had Samsung not recalled the Galaxy Note 7 or if they would not have exploded, the batteries definitely have swollen up a lot, making the smartphone separate on its own in time. The reasons provided by the report are strong enough to suggest that there was a major flop in the design of the smartphones which resulted in the explosions of the devices.
Further, the report claims that if Samsung would not have recalled the device and had it not exploded, the battery would have showcased extreme swelling. So much so, that the device would have separated on its own, eventually. Additionally, the phones were reported to be exploding even after replacements, which suggested a design flaw somewhere instead of a battery issue. All of this combined to reveal a design flaw, that would have eventually ended up with exploded phones.