1. LinkedIn notifies data breach, alerts 400 million members to stay safe

LinkedIn notifies data breach, alerts 400 million members to stay safe

In an email sent out to all its members, LinkedIn admitted that the massive data breach in 2012 may result in millions of passwords being leaked to the internet.

By: | Published: May 27, 2016 3:45 PM
LinkedIn The data breach involved member email addresses, hashed passwords, and LinkedIn member IDs (an internal identifier LinkedIn assigns to each member profile) from 2012. (Reuters)

Hit by a massive data breach that put nearly 167 million users’ passwords and personal information in the hands of hackers four years back, the popular career-oriented platform LinkedIn has finally came out with an explanation and steps it has taken to protect users.

LinkedIn currently has 400 million users.

“On May 17, 2016, we became aware that data stolen from LinkedIn in 2012 was being made available online. This was not a new security breach or hack. We took immediate steps to invalidate the passwords of all LinkedIn accounts that we believed might be at risk,” LinkedIn said.

“These were accounts created prior to the 2012 breach that had not reset their passwords since that breach,” the email read.

“We invalidated passwords of all LinkedIn accounts created prior to the 2012 breach that had not reset their passwords since that breach,” the company informed its users.

“In addition, we are using automated tools to attempt to identify and block any suspicious activity that might occur on LinkedIn accounts. We are also actively engaging with law enforcement authorities,” the company added.

According to the business-oriented social networking service, it has several dedicated teams working diligently to ensure that the information members entrust to LinkedIn remains secure.

“While we do all we can, we always suggest that our members visit our Safety Center to learn about enabling two-step verification and implementing strong passwords in order to keep their accounts as safe as possible,” it requested all the members.
“We recommend that you regularly change your LinkedIn password and if you use the same or similar passwords on other online services, we recommend you set new passwords on those accounts as well,” it added.

Tags: LinkedIn
    Ramya
    May 27, 2016 at 12:04 pm
    With occurrence of many data breaches in social media, its necessary that users need to understand the security measures. Social media being the most vital place for many hackers , user need to be more cautious .EvelynBizbilla Global b2b portal
      Arthur mehmet
      May 29, 2016 at 4:14 pm
      MY TESTIMONY ON HOW I GOT A LOAN TO CHANGE THE LIFE OF MY FAMILY My name is Susana Bonita. I live in USA Florida and i am a happy woman today? I told my self that any Loan lender that could change my Life and that of my family, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to Them. They gave happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $450, to start my life all over as a widow with 3 kids I meant this honest and GOD fearing loan lending company on line that helped me with a loan of $450, Dollar, They are indeed GOD fearing People, working with a reble loan company. i am very happy i got loan from Mehmet Lona Company . If you are in need of loan and you are 100% sure to pay back the loan please contact Now via e-mail below contact via E_mail:
        Arthur mehmet
        May 29, 2016 at 4:21 pm
          Arthur mehmet
          May 29, 2016 at 4:21 pm
          Good day, Are you in need of urgent loan...Do you want to clear your debt, expansion of business, or personal loan'' you can contact us for your fast and reliable loan at a low interest rate of 3%, and affordable repayment plan with good credit conditions.
            Arthur mehmet
            May 29, 2016 at 4:20 pm
              Arthur mehmet
              May 29, 2016 at 4:12 pm
              o Everyone, I am Susana Bonita a single mom from USA,i will like to share this great testimony on how i got my loan from Loan Company when we were driven out of our home when i couldn't pay my bills any more, After been scammed by various companies on line and have been denied a loan by my bank and some other credit union i visited. my children were taken by the foster care, i was all alone in the street. Until a day i shamefully walked into an old school mate who introduced me to Arthur Mehmet Lona Company At first i told her that i am not ready to take any risk of requesting a loan on line any more, but she ured me that i will received my loan from them. On a second thought, due to my homelessness i took a trial and applied for the loan, luckily for me i received a loan of $50,000.00 from (). Am happy i took the risk and applied for the loan. my kids have been given back to me and now i own a home and a business of my own. All graude goes to Arthur Mehmet Lona Company for giving a meaning to my life when i had lost all hope.