Google Pixel smartphones have been unveiled and with them the internet and software giant has ventured big time into the hardware game, branding the new devices under the ‘Made by Google’ category. The Pixel smartphones will not only replace the Nexus range by Google, but will also help the company take on Cupertino-based Apple’s iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus. The Pixel smartphones, which are available for pre-orders in India from October 13, will be up for grabs within a week of the iPhone 7 launch on October 7. The phones will retail at a starting price of $649 in US, and Google is also tying up with Verizon.
1) Camera: Just like Apple, Google too claims that the Pixel’s camera is the “best ever” on any smartphone. “It’s the highest rated smartphone camera anyone has ever made and has a DxOMark Mobile score of 89,” says Google. Pixel has a 12.3MP camera, featuring an f/2.0 aperture and big 1.55 micron pixels. Google adds that the camera allows phone users to click images great images in low and bright light as well. Features like ‘Smartburst’ and ‘Lens Blur’ add to the range of options available to the phone users. Not only that, Google is also offering free unlimited storage for original quality photos and videos at full resolution in Google Photos.
2) Google Assistant: Pixel phones would be the first to have the Google Assistant built in. The Google Assistant is the company’s answer to Siri and Alexa. Apart from accepting voice commands and answering basic queries, the Google Assistant can integrate with third-party apps such as WhatsApp. For example, if your friend texts you to meet up at a new restaurant, you can just say “navigate there”, explains Google.
3) Hardware specs: The Pixel phones will be available in screen sizes of 5 and 5.5 inch (12.7 cm and 14 cm). The hardware specifications of Google Pixel include; aluminum unibody and polished glass combination, HD AMOLED display, Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 quad core 2*2.15 GHz/2*1.6 GHz processor, 4GB RAM, 12.3 MP camera. The glass on the back features the Pixel Imprint, a fingerprint sensor.
4) Software: The ships with the newest Android operating system, Android 7.1 Nougat. Phones will get software and security updates as soon as they’re available, directly from Google. The Pixel also comes with Google Duo and Allo pre-installed. This allows people to video call and text, irrespective of whether they are on Android or iOS, adds Google
5) Battery and colours: Google claims that the Pixel phones charge “very fast” and can run up to 7 hours with just 15 minutes of charge. The smartphones come in three colours of Very Silver, Quite Black and a limited edition for the US only, Really Blue.