The CyanogenMod on Friday released its first official Android Nougat 7.1 update for the google Nexus 5X. The Nougat 7.1 update was brought via CyanogenMod 14.1 (CM14.1) Nightly ROM for the handset. So the users who wish to get the new update and replace the Android 7.0 can go ahead and download the latest ROM from CyanogenMod and experience the latest Android Nougat 7.1 features. However, it has to be noted that the CyanoMod 14.1 is still under testing and can carry a few bugs. Hence the users are advised to install the update at their own risk.
To install the new update, you must have a Google Nexus 5X. It has to be noted that users are advised against installing the update on any other phones since it may cause permanent damage to your device. You have to ensure that your Nexus 5X has the latest version of the Android 7.1 recovery installed. Having a backup is essential as a new update would wipe your device’s slate clean. Make sure that your device has at least 80% charge before you start the download.
Use the following instructions to download and install the CM14.1 Nightly Android Nougat ROM on your Google Nexus 5X:
- Connect your phone to a computer
- Download the ROM zip files and move them to the SD card on your phone.
- Disconnect from the computer and switch your device off.
- Start the phone into the the TWRP recovery mode. You can do this by holding the Volume Down and Up and the power buttons at the same time.
- You can let go of the buttons when the FastBoot or Bootloader options flash on your screen.
- Use your power button to select the recovery mode. Then use the Volume Up and Down to scroll through and select Wipe> Factory Reset.
- You can now go back to the recovery menu and hit the Install. You have to browse and select the CM14.1 ROM from the SD card where you had copied it earlier.
- Confirm the installation by tapping on Swipe to confirm Flash. Your device should now start installing the Nougat 7.1 update and once done a pop-up message would appear on your screen.
- You can now select the Gapps file that you had downloaded via the recovery setting menu after choosing ‘Install’. Confirm the flash and wait till Gapps is installed.
Restart your phone now and experience the new Nougat 7.1 update n your Google Nexus 5X.