Move over Samsung’s bursting devices, as an Australian surfer has claimed that an iPhone 7, which caught fire, has destroyed his car while he was out in the water, and released a video footage for the same. The surfer, Mat Jones told news outlets that he went to the water after keeping his smartphone wrapped in his clothes inside the car. When he returned he saw his vehicle damaged because of the fire caused by the burning iPhone 7. He told local news station (7 News) that when he came back his car windows were all black and saw ash coming out of his clothes. When unwrapped, he saw the iPhone was melting inside. There has been no other proof yet, apart from the video footage Jones came out with, nor has there been any confirmation.
This adds to the many other claims of iPhone 7s catching fire. Last month, another person from Australia had reportedly burnt his legs when his iPhone 7 burst in his back pocket when he fell down from his mountain bike. Overcharging and puncturing the device are the main reasons generally that these devices catch fire. Apple has reportedly said that it is aware of the incident and is investigating the issue. The pictures and videos might suggest something, yet if proved correct Apple will need to take careful steps to deal with the matter, even though the issue of reports of fire are not as rampant as that of Samsung Galaxy Note 7 devices.
Recently, the exploding batteries of Samsung galaxy Note 7’s created a huge furore in the tech world and caused bad PR so much that Samsung had to kill the device. Samsung, after initial reports of fire, recalled its devices and concluded that it was a battery manufacturer’s problem and replaced them with new ones. Yet, when the new ‘Safe’ devices started catching fire, Samsung decided to stop the devices altogether,as it already made huge losses of billions of dollars.