Tata Motors’ Sanand plant workers, who had approached the Gujarat government’s labour department earlier this month over wage woes, have now expressed willingness to negotiate terms with the company management. A year ago, discontent among the workers at the plant had led to production dropping drastically after more than 400 workers embarked on a strike which lasted nearly a month.
Speaking to FE, Hitesh Rabari, president, Bharatiya Kamdar Ekta Sangh (BKES), said, “After last year’s strike, we have realised that halting production benefits neither us nor the company. As a result, we have decided to negotiate our terms directly with the company management this time around.”
The workers allege that their wages have not been raised for several years now, with most workers receiving R12,000. They claim most workers in the automobile industry receive around R25,000.
Tata Motors has also expressed its willingness to discuss terms with the workers. In a statement released post a tripartite meeting with the labour department and the workers on Wednesday, a company spokesperson said, “Tata Motors attended today’s meeting called by the conciliation officer as agreed in the previous meeting with labour authorities on March 2, 2017, and submitted its response on the matter. We have reiterated our openness to discuss a reasonable charter of demand, amicably and in a fair manner with the union. We are hopeful that the union would resume discussions with the company with the same positive spirit to arrive at mutually beneficial grounds.”