Reliance Jio 4G launch: “Jio is the only mobile network in the country that is only 4G LTE,” said Mukesh Ambani at the 42nd Reliance AGM. In an extensive speech highlighting his plans for Reliance Jio, its benefits, offers and roadmap, Ambani said, “There is only 4G on the Jio network and not mostly 2G, sometimes 3G and once-in-a-while 4G.” “Jio has the only network conceived and born as a mobile video network from the ground up. It is future ready and it can be easily upgraded to support even more data, as technologies advance to 5G, 6G and beyond,” he added. Announcing a plethora of schemes aimed at luring new customers and retaining existing ones, Ambani spoke of free voice calls and affordable data packs. We take a look at 10 announcements that will cheer customers:
1) Smartphones: Reliance Digital has introduced a line-up of affordable 4G LTE smartphones under its brand LYF. These handsets start at Rs 2,999. The more feature-rich smartphones are available at price-points like Rs 3999, Rs 4999 and Rs 5,999. Additionally, for those who don’t want to replace their 2G or 3G handsets, Reliance Jio has come up with a 4G LTE personal router, called Jio-Fi, at Rs 1,999.
2) Free voice calls: “Customers should pay for only one service, either voice or data. Not both,” Ambani said. He announced that all voice calls for Jio customers will be free. In yet another cheer, no roaming charges will be applied across India.
3) Data: The base rate of Jio for every 1GB will be 1/10th the market practice. “Our data plans go even further: 5p/ MB, or Rs 50/ GB. And the more data you use, the lower the rate. We have price points starting from Rs 19 for the occasional data user, to a monthly Rs 149 plan for the light data user all the way up to a monthly Rs 4,999 plan for the heaviest data user. Data packs in the market have an effective rate of about Rs 250/ GB. With Jio, you pay 5 to 10 times lower – Rs 25-50/ GB,” he said.
4) The Jio-Apps bouquet, which is worth Rs 15,000 for an annual subscription – will be complimentary for all active Jio customers up to 31 December 2017.
5) Starting from September 5, 2016, Jio’s data, voice, video and the full bouquet of Jio applications and content will be available for everyone, absolutely free, till 31 December 2016.
6) Aadhaar: The Jio sign-up experience has been redesigned to make it 100% digital using an Aadhaar based eKYC process. Over the next 4 to 6 weeks the plan is to have the process in all Jio stores across India. “Any Jio customer carrying an Aadhaar card will be able to walk out of a Jio store with a working connection within 15 minutes. We are also planning to extend eKYC activation to our customers’ doorsteps,” Ambani elaborated.
7) Jio is also introducing Wi-fi hotspots across the country. Ambani said that till the middle of next year, 1 million wi-fi hotspots will be available across India.
8) He announced a special scheme for students, under which anyone with a valid student ID card, will be eligible for 25% extra data on Jio’s main tariff plans.
9) Ambani announced unlimited night LTE data. “This is designed to pass on the idle network capacity at night to our customers,” he said.
10) Starting in select cities, Jio will roll out a fiber to home wireline network. This initiative will push the power of data even further, and will offer data speeds up to 1 Gigabit per second, Ambani said.