Ministry of Information and Broadcasting has put on hold the decision to blackout Hindi News Channel NDTV India on September 9. The channel was asked to go off air on September 9 for leaking sensitive information during the coverage of a terror attack Pathankot Air Base. Earlier in the day, the channel approached Supreme Court protesting ministry’s decision. Defending the ban, Information and Broadcasting Minister Venkaiah Naidu have said that it was “in the interest of the country’s security” and that the barrage of criticism confronted by the government appears “politically inspired.” The ban has been widely condemned by journalists and editors. An online campaign #IamwithNDTV is also running in support of the channel.
“We now update that NDTV Ltd and others have filed a writ petition before the Hon’ble Supreme Court challenging the said order, inter-alia, challenging the constitutional validity of the said order and the provisions of law pursuant to which the said order has purportedly been passed,” the company said.
On its website, NDTV has mentioned that it has challenged the government’s one-day ban. NDTV has refuted the allegations and pointed out that other channels and newspapers reported the same information. NDTV, condemning the ban, compared situation Emergency of the 1970s when basic constitutional rights including the freedom of the press were blatantly violated.