Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Industries on Sunday soft-launched its 4G mobile services via its subsidiary Reliance Jio Infocomm. The nationwide launch, on the eve of the 83rd birth anniversary of Dhirubhai Ambani was attended by the group’s 35,000 employees and their families at the Reliance Corporate Park in Navi Mumbai, had around 80,000 more tuned in to the event from 1,000-plus locations across the country and one in Dallas, Texas in the US. “India is ranked around 150 in internet and mobile broadband penetration out of 230 countries, Jio is conceived to change this… 1.3 billion Indians cannot be left behind as the world enters a new era. I have no doubt that with the launch of Jio, India’s rank will go up from around 150 to among the top 10 in the next few years for internet and mobile broadband penetration,” Mukesh Ambani said.
2. Reliance Jio 4G launch: This comes almost 13 years after Reliance Industries first made a big splash by foraying into the telecom space with its CDMA services
3. Reliance Jio 4G launch: Reliance Jio was supposed to roll out services by December-end, however, in the first phase 4G services will be made available only for its employees.
4. Reliance Jio 4G launch: Reliance is reported to be planning offers such as free subscriptions till the commercial roll out takes place, and heavy discounts on handsets.
5. Reliance Jio 4G launch: RIL CMD Mukesh Ambani in June had said that beta programme (trials) of Reliance Jio “will be upgraded into commercial operations around December of this (2015) year” and “financial year 2016-17 will be the first full year of commercial operations for Jio”.
6. Reliance Jio 4G launch: The company holds the highest amount of liberalised spectrum among telecom operators that can be used for deploying any technology for mobile services.
7. Reliance Jio 4G launch: It has 2300MHz spectrum across the country and 800MHz or 1800MHz or both in 20 out of total 22 circles in the country.
8. Reliance Jio 4G launch: The company plans to use this spectrum to provide 4G services using Long Term Evolution.
9. Reliance Jio 4G launch: The strategy behind having a soft launch for employees before a full-fledged commercial one is that “the last and the slightest wrinkle would be smoothed out to perfection before the all-India commercial services.
10. Reliance Jio 4G launch: Unlike the 2002 launch, when younger brother Anil Ambani had not showed up, this time he was present with wife Tina Ambani and sons Jai Anmol and Jai Anshul. Dhirubhai’s wife Kokilaben was also present.