The ministry of consumer affairs will continue to pursue its ‘class action’ suit against Nestle’s Maggi noodles in the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission (NCDRC) despite the lifting of the ban on the product by the Bombay High Court.
A senior ministry official told FE that the next hearing on the case at NCDRC is slated on November 30. The official said that the the apex consumer court is yet to receive the test report of 13 samples of Maggi sent for testing to the Central Food Technological Research Institute (CFTRI), Mysore few weeks back.
The consumer affairs ministry few months back had approached the NCDRC against Maggi demanding over R640 crore for unfair trade practice for selling “defective and hazardous goods” and punitive damages, including interest at the rate of 18% per annum.
Nestle’s failure to disclose the presence of risk-increasing ingredients was deceptive and misleading, the complaint filed with NCDRC through the consumer affairs department has stated while accusing the firm of promoting noodles containing excessive lead as healthy with the sole aim of enhancing profits.
Last month, NCDRC had ordered tests on 13 samples of two variants – Maggi Masala and Veg(etable) Atta noodles – from nine batches to analyse presence of lead and “Monosodium Glutamate” content. The order had urged that the Maggi samples to be sent to the Central Food Technological Research Institute (CFTRI), Mysore, after verifying the seal and samples in the court’s presence.