Karnataka’s Health minister U.T. Khader on Saturday said the government has directed the food officers to ensure that the stock of Maggi noodles is withdrawn from the market, adding that the samples of the product would be sent to Central Food Technological Research Institute (CFTRI) to get more clarity on the lead issue.
“We have directed Food Officers to inspect that stock of Maggi are withdrawn from market. Once we will receive reports, we will send it to CFTRI lab to get more clarity. We will test noodles of 7-8 other companies. We are concerned about the energy drinks and other such products too,” he told the media here.
Khader further said that 24 samples of Maggi have been sent for test so far.
“We have given 24 samples of Maggi for test; one company has given report and says lead is under limit. Reports from other companies are awaited, we cannot blindly follow one report,” he added.
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) had earlier directed Nestle India to withdraw nine variants of Maggi noodles found unsafe from the market and to stop the further production and sale of the same.
Nestle Global CEO Paul Bulcke had earlier assured that the product was safe for consumption, and expressed confidence about instant noodles being back on Indian shelves soon.
Delhi, Uttarakhand, Jammu and Kashmir, Tamil Nadu, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and Telangana have banned Maggi.
Singapore has also banned the instant noodles, with reports stating that the United Kingdom has also ordered a study into its ingredients.