1. International Women’s Day 2017: Flipkart’s stellar sellers are not men, but its women sellers

International Women’s Day 2017: Flipkart’s stellar sellers are not men, but its women sellers

Its no longer a man's world, especially in the virtual world, where women sellers have created their own position at least in the case of home-grown e-commerce company Flipkart.

By: | New Delhi | Published: March 8, 2017 7:30 PM
Its no longer a man’s world, especially in the virtual world, where women sellers have created their own position at least in the case of home-grown e-commerce company Flipkart. (Reuters)

Its no longer a man’s world, especially in the virtual world, where women sellers have created their own position at least in the case of home-grown
e-commerce company Flipkart. The e-commerce firm which claims to have more than1 lakh sellers, at preset generates 15% of its business from women sellers. “Around 30% of our entire seller base are women. We provide them assistance in onboarding on Flipkart, listing their products, cataloging and photoshoots, packaging, lending and warehousing (different fulfillment models). These initiatives have played a major role in bringing more sellers to Flipkart and will increase contribution even in the future,” said Anil Goteti, head- marketplace, Flipkart.

As per the e-commerce firm while women continue to dominate the lifestyle category with 70% being women sellers, in recent years, many women sellers have started ventured into other categories such as gaming, automobile and health care appliances.

“We have also witnessed presence of women sellers in other sub-categories like men’s clothing and health and beauty. The other major category among women sellers is consumer electronics with 16% of them present here,” added Goteti.

You May Also Like To Watch This:

Moreover, 75% women sellers are based in metros and the rest 25% are based in non-metros. According to Goteti, too is going through a change as a lot of women sellers from smaller towns such as Tirupur, Udaipur and Pataudi have come on board as sellers on Flipkart. Women entrepreneurs too claim to have benefitted from selling on e-commerce sites like Flipkart. “Clovia was one of the first few brands to be part of the lingerie category on Flipkart and has grown along with the category. Flipkart has helped us reach out to women in the farthest corners of India and assist with finding right fits and sizes,” said Neha from Clovia.

Going forward the e-commerce company would be working towards getting more women sellers on to its platform. According to Flipkart, in the last three months it has onboarded almost 1500 women sellers. “We would like to encourage more women sellers in the categories of home decor and furnishing, lifestyle – jewelry, watches, apparel (Men, Women, Kids), toys, electronic items and accessories,” said Goteti.

  1. No Comments.

Go to Top