Business tycoon Vijay Mallya, in an interview to the Financial Times has said he is in “forced exile” and bankers “are not getting any money” by taking his passport or arresting him. Currently the government and mainly public sector banks are trying to recover $1.4 billion owed by his collapsed Kingfisher Airlines Ltd.
The Centre wrote to its British counterpart on Thursday seeking the deportation of the liquor tycoon and Formula 1 motor racing boss, who is the target of a non-bailable warrant in a money laundering investigation.
Here are 5 quotes by the liquor baron Vijay Mallya in his interview to a newspaper in London:
1. ‘We wish to settle’. But we wish to settle at a reasonable number that we can afford and banks can justify on the basis of settlements done before
2. “By taking my passport or arresting me, they are not getting any money.”
3. Vijay Mallya: I am in “forced exile” and have no plans to return to India where things are flying at me fast and furious. I don’t know what the government is going to do next. All I can say is the manner in which my passport was first suspended and then revoked was done in an extraordinary haste.
4. Vijay Mallya: I am absolutely not guilty of any of these preposterous charges of diverting funds from Kingfisher, buying properties or stuff like that. I am sure they are not going to find anything.
5. Vijay Mallya: It is important to understand the environment in India today. The electronic media is playing a huge role not just in moulding public opinion, but in inflaming the government to a very large extent.