Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar today said his government would not wait till July 21 to initiate legal action against the “ex parte decision” of Punjab and Haryana High Court staying reservation against five communities and would make all possible efforts to get the stay vacated.
“The BJP government will present its case in the high court at the earliest and would make all possible efforts to get the stay vacated,” Khattar was quoted as saying in an official release here.
Following the concept of ‘Haryana Ek-Haryanavi Ek’ and ‘Sabka Sath-Sabka Vikas’, the Chief Minister said his government is committed to the welfare of all sections of the society.
“The state government has given reservation to six castes Jat, Jat Sikh, Mula Jat, Bishnoi, Ror and Tyagi within the ambit of Constitution. A bill to this effect was passed by the Vidhan Sabha,” Khattar said.
He said the state government has given statutory status to Haryana Backward Classes Commission after 24 years of the orders of Supreme Court.
He further said that had the previous Congress government “legally given reservation benefit to these castes, this issue would have not got entangled in the court”.
Earlier in the day, the Punjab and Haryana High Court stayed the reservation for Jats and five other communities provided by the Haryana government under a newly carved Backward Classes (C) category.
A bench headed by Justice S S Saron passed the order while hearing a petition challenging the constitutional validity of The Haryana Backward Classes (reservation in services and admission in educational institutions) Act 2016 that was passed unanimously by the state Assembly on March 29.