Dera Sacha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim was today sentenced to ten years of imprisonment by the Special CBI Court of Panchkula in connection with a decade old rape case. Special CBI judge Jagdeep Singh pronounced the quantum of punishment in makeshift courtroom in Rohtak jail. Ram Rahim was held guilty on charges of rape of a female devotee in 1999 on Friday. While the prosecution, reportedly, had demanded the maximum punishment for the rape convict, the Defence had argued that Ram Rahim Singh was a social worker and had worked for the welfare of people, so the judge should take a lenient view. Meanwhile, elaborate security arrangements have been put in place to prevent any untoward incident. Notably, The rape case was registered by the CBI in April 2002 against the self-styled godman after allegations of sexual exploitation of two women followers. The then prime minister, Atal Bihari Vajpayee, had received an anonymous letter from a Dera Sadhvi that she was being raped by Ram Rahim. Here are 10 unknown facts about the Dera chief Guru Ram Rahim Singh:
1. Guru Ram Rahim Singh was born on August 15, 1967, in Sriganganagar, Rajasthan. He was the only child of his parents and started helping his father by driving a tractor on their field.
2. His father was a follower of Shah Satnam Ji, the second chief of Dera Sacha Sauda (DSS) group.
3. In 1990, Satnam declared Ram Rahim as his successor making him the third chief of Dera Sacha Sauda (DSS) group at the age of 23 years.
Watch this video
4. It is believed that Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh is also a versatile singer. In the sequel of MSG, he sang six songs in six different voices.
5. According to a report by India Opines, when Baba was asked where he got that kind of training, all he said was, “Maine bus ishwar se sikha, uski bhakti ki aur phir mera will power badh gaya, with which I could do the singing.”
6. He has released successful albums like ‘Love Charger’, ‘Chora Babbar Sher Ka’, ‘Network Tere Love Ka’, ‘Love Rab Se’ and ‘Thank You For That’.
7. Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh is one of the 36 people in the country who enjoys a VVIP Status and a Z level security cover. This is because he is well-known wielder of influence amongst politicians in Haryana, Rajasthan, and Punjab.
8. He drives a Range Rover SUV and has a convoy of 100 vehicles which includes 16 black Ford Endeavours.
9. An adventure lover, Baba, in one of his concerts sang a song called ‘Chocolate’ by suspending himself at 30 feet above ground level in a moving crane.
10. It is reported that Baba had said yes to take part in the reality show Bigg Boss 9 but only on one condition that he should be allowed to exit the house for at least 2 to 3 hours to meet his followers.