Venkaiah Naidu was elected as the 13th vice-president of India after a landslide win over the Opposition candidate Gopal Krishna Gandhi. After his win, Naidu said, “I will seek to utilise VicePresidential institution to strengthen hands of president and uphold dignity of the Upper House. I am very humbled, thankful to Prime Minister and all party leaders for their support,” as per PTI. The vice-presidential election started at 10 am on Saturday morning and the voting finished at 5 pm. The counting had started at 6 pm and the result was announced after 7 pm. Here are top 10 things to know about Venkaiah Naidu:
The vice-presidential election started at 10 am on Saturday morning and the voting finished at 5 pm. The counting had started at 6 pm and the result was announced after 7 pm. Here are top 10 things to know about Venkaiah Naidu:
1. The former BJP national president hails from a farmers’ family in Nellore district in Andhra Pradesh, according to a PTI report.
2. Naidu was a member of the AP Legislative Assembly which he held for two terms.
3. The 68-year old has a law degree with a specialisation in international law from the Andhra University College of Law in Vishakhapatnam.
4. He was actively involved in the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh’s activities and joined the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad in college.
5. Naidu was Advani’s protege and had supported Modi for the Prime Ministerial elections held in 2014.
6. He is currently the Cabinet Minister of Information and Broadcasting and the Union Minister for Urban Development and Housing.
7. Known to be a good orator, Naidu was elected to the Rajya Sabha thrice from Karnataka and currently represents Rajasthan.
8. Under Modi’s government, Naidu was also the Minister of Parliamentary Affairs.
9. In the previous NDA government of former Prime Minister Vajpayee, Naidu was the Rural Development Minister.
10. He is much acclaimed for his Rural development scheme ‘Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana,’ launched 16 years ago with an aim to connect remote villages to national highways.