V K Sasikala was unanimously elected as the legislative leader of the AIADMK, creating a path for her to take the reigns of the state from O Panneerselvam as the Chief Minister. According to reports, she is to be sworn in on Tuesday or Thursday. This comes exactly two months after the sad demise of former CM Jayalalitha due to prolonged illness. Earlier, following a meeting of the AIADMK MLAs on Sunday, Sasikala was named the leader of the legislature party, which according to reports, was suggested by CM Panneerselvam.
Here are 10 developments on the political turmoil that has gripped the state of Tamil Nadu:
1. 62-year old Sasikala, also known as ‘Chinamma’ who has been a staunch supporter of late CM Jayalalithaa, was elected as the AIADMK General Secretary on December 31, 2016, following Amma’s untimely demise.
2. On Sunday, she was elevated to the post of the leader of the legislature party following a meeting of AIADMK MLAs, paving the path for her to become Tamil Nadu’s next Chief Minister. According to reports, it was CM Panneerselvam who had recommended her name for the post.
3. Chief Minister O Panneerselvam who had taken up the post just hours following the demise of Jayalalithaa tendered his resignation to Governor Vidya Sagar Rao and asked to relieve him and his cabinet citing personal reasons. It came on the same day as Sasikala was elected as the leader of the legislature party.
4. The opposition slammed the AIADMK citing lack of clarification in the functioning of the party. DMK chief Stalin said that Sasikala was not the one people had voted for.
5. Former Finance Minister and senior Congress leader P Chidambaram also criticised the AIDMK over the functioning of the party following Amma’s demise and said that the party was going in the wrong direction.
6. Expelled AIADMK Rajya Sabha MP Sasikala Pushpa also opposed V K Sasikala’a ascension to the post of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister. She wrote letters to the governor of TM V S Rao and PM Narendra Modi alleging that the probable CM had a criminal background and urged them to nominate or invite Sasikala to be a CM. in the letters she said that all the cases against Sasikala were pending and she remained convicted.
7. Sasikala Pushpa also expressed her disapproval over the probable CM as the latter had had not done any basic work for the AIADMK party or contributed to its development.
8. Rapper Sofia Ashraf pens down a song “My vote isn’t for you”. The singer who shot to limelight for standing up for the people of Kodaikanal against Unilever was seen on the streets at night with her song protesting against the elevation of Sasikala.
9. Meanwhile cricketer Ravichandran Ashwin also went on Twitter and said “To all the youngsters in TN, 234 job opportunities to open up shortly”. Although, the cricketer did not clarify his stand on the matter.
To all the youngsters in TN, 234 job opportunities to open up shortly.
— Ashwin Ravichandran (@ashwinravi99) February 6, 2017
10. Tamil Nadu governor Vidya Sagar Rao accepted the resignation of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister O Panneerselvam, clearing the path for V K Sasikala to take up the post. Sasikala is expected to be taking the oath of the CM between Tuesday to Friday. Although, the governor asked Panneerselvam to keep operating from his post till all the arrangements were made for the same.
While Sasikala’s elevation to the post of the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu seems all but inevitable, protests have started to gain voice in the state and across political spheres with people complaining that they did not vote for the leader. The opposition has slammed the AIADMK for having an undemocratic approach for the election of the new CM candidate, while the Congress has said that the party was going in the wrong direction since the demise of Amma.