The Government of Tunisia has said that it will shut down about 80 mosques, which have been charged with inciting violence.
The BBC quoted Tunisian Prime Minister Habib Essid, as saying that following Friday’s attack on a hotel located at a beach resort Sousse that left 38 people dead, there is a feeling within the government that these mosques which are operating outside state control, are spreading “venom”.
Tunisians, Britons, Germans, Belgians, French and at least one Irish citizen were among those killed in Friday’s attack, and responsibility for it has been claimed by the Islamic State (IS).
Reports have quoted Tunisian Government sources, as saying that the gunman was shot dead by the police.
The reports said the attacker was a student not previously known to authorities.
This was the second major attack on tourists in Tunisia since March, when militants killed 22 people, mainly foreigners, at a museum in the capital.