1. Sushma Swaraj: All passports to be in Hindi, English from now; fee cut by 10 pct for minors, those above 60

By: | New Delhi | Updated: June 23, 2017 3:36 PM
passport, Sushma Swaraj, Centre , Indian Passport, Narendra Modi of Government, External Affairs Ministry Last Saturday, Sushma Swaraj had also announced the launch of new Post Office Passport Seva Kendra. (ANI)

External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj today announced that all passports will be in English as well as Hindi from now on. MEA Swaraj also announced that passport fee will be reduced by as much as 10 percent for those below 19 and above 60 years of age, PTI reported. “All passports will be in English and Hindi languages from now on and not just English”, the minister was quoted as saying by the agency.

Last Saturday, Sushma Swaraj had also announced the launch of new Post Office Passport Seva Kendra (POPSK), the news agency had earlier said. These centres were, in addition, to 86 POPSKs announced in the first phase. The Narendra Modi Government opened 16 PSKs, with priority given to north-east states, Swaraj had said. Thus,  the NDA Government has opened about 251 PSKs and POPSKs since coming to power. Before this, there were 77 PSKs in the country.

Earlier this month, the government had come up with a plan to open passport centres within a radius of 50 km. “We have set up a target that no one has to travel more than a radius of 50 kms to get a passport,” she was quoted as saying by PTI. The minister further said that the MEA and the DoP are planning to map about 810 head post offices in the country and extend the ambit of the scheme.

She also launched a website for the Know India Programme (KIP), which was an initiative by the Ministry for the Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) between the age group of 18 – 30 years.  The focus of this programme to make PIO youths familiarise with their roots.

You may also like to watch this video

The scheme, which was launched in 2004, has 40 editions under which 1,293 PIO youths have visited the country. Last year, the government revamped the scheme from 21 to 25 days, the PTI report added.

1. Thomas Jonas
    Aug 23, 2017 at 1:12 am
    Buy legit European / US /UK passport, id cards,Visas,Driver's License (infodocuments4 ) Are you trying to change your nationality ? do you need work papers ? do you want to travel ? do you need papers you cant have ?if yes , then you are in the right place at the right time We are an independent group of specialized IT professionals and data base technicians who are specialized in the production of high quality real and novelty documents such as passports,drivers license,id cards,stamps,visas,diplomas of very high quality and other products for all countries: USA, Australia,UK, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Italian, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland, . This list is not full.contact General support: infodocuments4 To get the additional information and place the order just contact us via email mobile. whatsapp 237673528224 General support: infodocuments4 Skype: info documents4
      MS
      Aug 10, 2017 at 8:50 am
      Pakistani language Hindi imposition in full swing by pseudo Hindu outfits. Pakistani language Hindi is a Muslim originated language and yet media calls these buffoons as Hindus????
        Ram
        Jun 25, 2017 at 8:59 pm
        What's the need for it now? Why not my passport in my mother tongue? What's BJP trying to say? Is Hindi superior and my mother tongue inferior?
        1. C
          Chandan
          Jun 24, 2017 at 12:05 pm
          Why central government is imposing Hindi on non Hindi speaking population? Why don't you provide respective state administrative language as the second language in passport and other government IDs. By imposing Hindi on non Hindi speakers government is killing rich language and cultural heritage of our country.
          1. T
            Trueindianman
            Jun 23, 2017 at 5:36 pm
            Why Hindi ? The Europeans , Chinese or American immigration officers don't read Hindi in school. Hindi is not a national or universal language either. Why Tamilians and Keralites or non Hindi speaking Indians be imposed this for a document useful for overseas travel? This actions of govt is as stupid as some major decisions in the past three years.
              Apte
              Jun 23, 2017 at 4:59 pm
              1. I am glad to know that as a senior citizen I will pay 10 less fee for issue of passport. But who will solve difficulties of senior citizens like me? 2. I wish to share my experience when I applied for a passport last year. I had submitted a Birth Date Certificate (BDC) issued to me by my college where I studied for four years. However, my application for passport was rejected at PSK PUNE, as proof of birth submitted by me (BDC issued by college) was unacceptable to PSK. I explained to PSK official that in 1960s, prevailing practice was that the college would retain the School Leaving Certificate (SLC) submitted by every student, and retain it forever. The college would issue a BDC on the basis of birth date mentioned in the SLC submitted by the student and that BDC issued by the college was considered a proof good enough for all purposes, even for issue of a life insurance policy. After rejection of my application I had sent a written grievance letter but it is yet to be acted on.