A Pakistani police officer, Ghulam Akbar, SP Mirpur in the PoK region, admitted to the surgical strikes by India, in the terrorist camps across the border. In a telephonic conversation with CNN News18, SP Akbar admitted the death of 12 people in the attacks. He went on to confirm the names and ranks of 5 uniformed personnel, who were killed during the attack by the Indian army on September 29. The attack was carried out on the backdrop of the terrorist attack on an army base in Uri, India, that had resulted in the death of 19 Indian soldiers.
Akbar also mentioned the areas, he knew the attacks were carried out in – Samana in Bhimber, Hazira in Poonch, Dudhniyal in Neelam and Kayani in Hattian Bala. He said that the Pakistan army had surrounded these areas and made them inaccessible immediately after the attacks. Indian army’s Lt Gen Ranbir Singh on the day following the attack had addressed the Indian media and informed about the attack. Though Lt Gen Singh had not mentioned the exact number of deaths, he had said that they had eliminated a significant number of threats.
Though Pakistan had initially completely denied the attacks, they had later termed it a matter of cross-border firing. The Pakistani army had said that only 2 Pakistani soldiers had lost their lives in these attacks. Lt Gen Ranbir Singh had said that the decision to conduct surgical strikes across the border had been taken after the Indian military had found out that launchpads had been set up to infiltrate the border and carry out meteor attacks in Jammu and Kashmir and other metros in the country. The telephonic conversation with SP Akbar also reveals other claims by the Indian Army, that had been ruthlessly questioned owing to the lack of proof. While some had even suggested that doctored versions of the videos of the surgical strikes be released to the media as a proof of the attack, this telephonic conversation with SP Ghulam Akbar should put these questions to a rest.