In a shocking incident, a nine-year-old Indian girl who was living in Harrow, northwest London died after taking a bite of a pancake. According to the Independent, the girl who has been identified as Nainika Tikoo was allergic to dairy. On the day Nainika fell ill, she had reportedly asked her father to add blackberries to her dairy-free pancakes, this incident took place on May 20 earlier this year. The report further stated that the girl had never tried fruit before and when her father served her the dairy free pancake, she collapsed after taking a bite from the pancake.
As Nainika took one bite of the blackberry pancake, she reportedly turned ‘completely blue’ and collapsed on the floor. Her father, after seeing her daughter lying on the ground, tried to treat her with an Epipen and even the paramedics arrived at her home within seven minutes of the incident, Nainika could not be saved as she suffered a cardiac arrest. She died days after being admitted in the hospital, as her family decided to withdraw the life support system. The Independent further quoted her mother as saying that her death was like a “nightmare we will live and relive every single moment of our lives remaining.”
Lakshmi Kaul, Nainika Tikoo’s mother, on a just Just Giving page, set up to raise funds for allergy research after the death of her daughter wrote, “We knew she was allergic to dairy and she had asthma so we looked after that for the last 9 years. We had only one major incident in these 9 years with a few minor incidents intermittently.”