In the first incident of a Samsung device catching fire on board an Indian aircraft, a Samsung Note 2 smartphone was found emitting smoke inside an IndiGo Singapore-Chennai flight today. The incident was confirmed by the airlines, reports said. The smell of the smoke emitting from the smartphone was noticed by a few passengers on Friday morning while the flight was on its way to Chennai. The passengers immediately alerted the crew, who found the smoke coming from the hat-rack of a seat.
The airline said that the crew informed the Pilot-in-command who in turn alerted the Air Traffic Controller (ATC) about the situation on board. As a precautionary measure, the crew members relocated the passengers and found the smoke was coming from a Samsung Note 2 phone placed in a bag of a passenger. The crew used a fire extinguisher to control the fire and transferred the phone in a container filled with water in the lavatory of the flight.
As per IndiGo, the flight made a normal landing at the airport and the faulty Samsung device was handed over to the concerned department for further investigation. The airlines also informed the DGCA about the incident. The DGCA, meanwhile, has advised flyers not to carry Samsung Note handsets in
The incident prompted aviation regulator DGCA to summon Samsung officials and ban the onboard use of this series of devices of the South Korean major. DGCA has asked airlines to advise passengers to switch off their Samsung Galaxy Note phones while on board. The move also comes two weeks after the watchdog banned the use of Samsung Galaxy Note7 onboard an aircraft following a series of incidents of the smartphone’s battery exploding in various countries.
(With PTI inputs)