1. Robert Vadra asks govt to remove him from ‘no-frisking’ list

Robert Vadra asks govt to remove him from ‘no-frisking’ list

Insisting that he is "not a VIP", Congress President Sonia Gandhi's son-in-law Robert Vadra today said he had given consent for removal of his name from the elite 'no-frisking' list at airports and wondered if it was not being done as part of a "conspiracy" to malign his image.

By: | New Delhi | Published: September 12, 2015 8:18 PM
Robert Vadra

The ‘no-frisking’ privilege, enjoyed by SPG protectees like Robert Vadra’s wife Priyanka Gandhi and Constitutional dignitaries, saves them from the requirement of going through security checks at airports. (PTI)

Insisting that he is “not a VIP”, Congress President Sonia Gandhi’s son-in-law Robert Vadra today said he had given consent for removal of his name from the elite ‘no-frisking’ list at airports and wondered if it was not being done as part of a “conspiracy” to malign his image.

He maintained that he has never used this “privilege” and does not need it and that he should be treated as any other normal citizen of the country.

“I am clear but wish the concerned authorities would understand that I am not a VVIP or a VIP,” Vadra said in a statement here against the backdrop of the government saying that it has no plans to remove him from the ‘no-frisking’ list.

The ‘no-frisking’ privilege, enjoyed by SPG protectees like Vadra’s wife Priyanka Gandhi and Constitutional dignitaries, saves them from the requirement of going through security checks at airports.

Vadra’s name has cropped up several times with regard to whether he should enjoy the facility.

“I have .. given my consent to remove my name from this list many times. My conduct says it, but apparently the analysis disclosed by the government on my threat perception, allegedly says I am not required to be on this list,” he said, adding “so why double standards in removing my name from the VVIP list?”

Asserting that it takes less than a minute to get frisked and he has nothing to hide, Vadra said “may be I need to personally go to every airport and delete my name. Will that work? Or is it a part of a larger conspiracy to malign my image? I am humble and as normal as any citizen. So please treat me like one.”

He asked those concerned to “stop wasting people’s time” on this issue. “There are much larger issues to be dealt with. My humble request is to focus on them.”

Tags: Robert Vadra
    Anup
    Sep 12, 2015 at 8:48 pm
    Why has he still not been removed from that privileged list? Modi and Sonia are true friends it seems.
    1. Sridhara Hiriyannaiah
      Sep 12, 2015 at 9:16 pm
      Not only that even after an year no action taken on Vadra land deals. Afterall all politicians are cousins, you scratch my back and I scratch yours is the policy. Kejriwal is also same, no action on Sheila dixit.
      1. இன்னம்பூரான்
        Sep 12, 2015 at 8:15 pm
        He had, as is his won't, had stuck his tongue in both the cheeks! This 'no frisk' was his mother-in-law's gift to him
          Mahesh
          Sep 13, 2015 at 6:43 pm
          If it was soniaji's gift what stops modiji after more than a year. If manmohanji was currupt where are the investigations? where are the list of swiss bank holding gujarati's? (ignore my ignorance but i thought they were among the most rich in india who are good at saving taxs) giving them time to shift their accounts elsewhere? Congress couldn't handle alliance partners and suffered because of their scams and now BJP cannot handle as modiji says the radical elements of RSS/VHP.
            Radhakrishnan Radhakrishnan
            Sep 13, 2015 at 12:44 am
            Suppose if his name is removed will next parliament will be disrupted on this issue.
            1. Raghav Uchil
              Sep 12, 2015 at 9:21 pm
              why the this option is given to Vadra? Let govt remove him from no frisk list and let him stand in the Q like anyone else and get frisked. ThisNO FRISK business has gone too far for this high stung DAMAAD.
              1. Umesh Singh
                Sep 12, 2015 at 9:35 pm
                Yes, Govt. of India should remove his name from the elite list from all departments.