Rahul Gandhi in Bengaluru: Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi will be in Bengaluru today for the release of the commemorative publication of National Herald, according to reports. Gandhi will also attend party’s Karnataka state committee meeting and is likely to chalk strategy for the next year’s assembly polls. Gandhi yesterday tweeted that he was looking forward to being in Bengaluru on Monday for the release of the commemorative publication of National Herald- India at a Crossroads: 70 years of Independence. It has been learned that Vice President Hamid Ansari will be the chief guest. Apart from the Nation Herald event, Gandhi will address about 1,500 Congress workers and office bearers during the party meet.
Notably, National Herald was first launched in 1938. It was launched as a daily in the vanguard of the Freedom Movement. The newspaper had made a comeback with a digital version in November last year, eight years after it had downed shutters. The publication has come in the midst of a legal battle over its past. Congress president Sonia Gandhi and her son Rahul Gandhi were also entangled in legal battle over it. A political slugfest had erupted between the Narendra Modi government and the Congress.
Earlier on May 12, Congress had accused the central government of spreading misinformation in the National Herald case. The party backed Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi saying that the party was proud to be associated with the newspaper that stood up in pre-independence times against the British for throttling free speech, similar to the present day climate. “This shows the unambiguous, clear insecurity and vindictive approach,” Congress spokesperson Abhishek Singhvi had said after the Delhi High Court declined to stay income tax proceedings against Young Indian Pvt Ltd in the National Herald case, which involves Congress leaders Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi. Singhvi also alleged that government agencies by proxy were engaging in distorted, slanted misinformation possibly bordering on contempt. He had said it is quite astonishing to see the amount of misinformation and distortion going on in the case.
Watch this video
Take a look at Rahul Gandhi’s tweet
Looking forward to being in Bengaluru tomorrow for the release of the commemorative publication of National Herald@NH_India https://t.co/zLQljUPmcB
— Office of RG (@OfficeOfRG) June 11, 2017
Singhvi clarified that he had withdrawn the case as the high court in its written orders said that all points raised by Young Indian can be raised before the IT department including the point that it had no reason to believe to reopen the case “In view of the matter, because of that, I withdrew the writ,” he said
AICC in-charge of communications department Randeep Surjewala also had said Young Indian had raised certain fundamental jurisdictional issues challenging the authority of Income Tax authorities and the Delhi High Court directed IT authorities to decide all issues with IT department and satisfied with it, Young Indian withdrew the petition. He had said Young Indian is a ‘not for profit’ company that runs the ‘National Herald ‘ newspaper which is the last vestige of freedom movement which contributed to India’s freedom struggle. “We will apologise to you if the order shows this. Is it not contempt of court? Some of you are told to publish that the order says Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi have been asked to appear
“This is all government agencies are doing, feeding the press misinformation when our grievance is known to all…Is this fair reporting, is this fair for the government agencies,” he asked. Singhvi stressed that the National Herald stood up for certain ideals and the Congress fully supports with pride this initiative.