Presidential Election 2017: Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) Nasim Zaidi has announced the countdown for the race to Raisina Hill. The CEC announced the complete schedule for the Presidential Elections. The President of India is elected indirectly by the citizens of the country. The President is elected by the elected representatives of the people, ie, the President is elected by the MPs and MLAs. According to the schedule announced by Zaidi, the Presidential Election Process will get over on July 20. The tenure of the incumbent President, Pranab Mukherjee will end on July 24. Here are 10 things that you should know about the Presidential polls:
1) The President of India is elected through an electoral college which comprises of MPs and MLAs.
2) The Secretary General of Lok Sabha will be the Returning Officer for the Presidential Election 2017.
3) Nomination papers of a candidate must be signed by 50 proposers and 50 backers.
4) Candidates will have to deposit Rs 15,000 along with their nomination papers. The last day of nominations for the presidential election is on June 28.
5) The Chief Election Commissioner Nasim Zaidi will issue special pens for the elections. The elections will have to mark the ballot paper only with the pens approved by the EC. Any ballot not marked by the approved pen will be discarded. The pens will have special ink.
6) For the first time, the Election Commission has allowed lawmakers to cast their votes outside their state. MPs are now allowed to vote in state assemblies and MLAs can now vote in the Parliament in Delhi. If a lawmaker chooses to take advantage of the new system then he or she will have to inform the EC 10 days ahead of the elections.
7) The Chief Election Commissioner has also said that parties cannot issue whips to party MLAs and MPs to take part in the Presidential Elections.
8) The Election Commission will notify the Presidential Election on June 14.
9) Last day for candidates to file nomination is June 28, last date for scrutiny of candidature will be June 29 and the last day for withdrawal of candidature is July 1.
10) The Election will be conducted on July 17 and the date of counting will be July 20. The votes cast in the poll will be counted in Delhi. The Election Commission will release the election result