1. PM Narendra Modi condemns ‘cowardly terror attack’ on Afghan military base in Mazar-i-sharif

PM Narendra Modi condemns ‘cowardly terror attack’ on Afghan military base in Mazar-i-sharif

In an unfortunate event, more than 50 Afghan soldiers were killed after some Taliban suicide attackers disguised as army personnel targetted a national army base in northern Afghanistan

By: | New Delhi | Published: April 22, 2017 9:30 AM
narendra modi, pm narendra modi, pm modi, prime minister narendra modi, modi on afghan attack, attack in afghanistan, pm modi condemns attack in afghanistan PM Narendra Modi has condemned the attack on Afghan military base. (Source: PTI)

In an unfortunate event, more than 50 Afghan soldiers were killed after some Taliban suicide attackers disguised as army personnel targetted a national army base in northern Afghanistan. The attack took place at Afghan’s army base in Mazar-i-sharif. Indian Prime Minister took to Twitter to condemn the incident by calling it a ‘cowardly terror attack’. He also sent his condolences to the families who lost loved ones. “Strongly condemn the cowardly terror attack in Mazar-i-sharif. Our prayers and condolences to the families who lost loved ones,” wrote PM Modi.

According to the news agency ANI, The Guardian reported that a group of suicide attackers manning at least two Afghan national army vehicles managed to pass the first security gate on Friday afternoon, according to Zulmay Wesa, commander of 209th corps in Balkh province. When they were stopped at the second gate, one of the attackers blew himself up. It gave an opportunity for other attackers to enter the base, Wesa told. These attackers went to he mosque straightaway where the ANA soldiers were praying and opened fire.

“After prayer, we went outside and saw an army vehicle with three to five people in. They came out and opened fire with Kalashnikovs,” a bodyguard at the base was quoted as saying by ANI, asking not to be named. Elsewhere on the base, at least one attacker went on a shooting rampage in a dining facility, according to an American security official. He also confirmed that “probably more than 50” had been killed in the attack.

You  may also want to watch:

Meanwhile, in a statement, the U.S. military in Afghanistan condemned the attack. “The attack on the 209th Corps today shows the barbaric nature of the Taliban. They killed soldiers at prayer in a mosque and others in a dining facility,” US commander John Nicholson said in the statement.

(with input from ANI)

  1. No Comments.

Go to Top