Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif called up his Indian counterpart Narendra Modi on Tuesday and assured prompt action against those responsible for the attack on the Pathankot air base.
The telephonic conversation takes place at a time when the Foreign Secretary-level talks with Pakistan scheduled for this month looks in serious jeopardy with strong indications that the Modi Government may call off the engagement if evidence emerges that Pakistan’s state actors were complicit in the fidayeen raid on the air base.
Reports suggest that India expects Pakistan to take action against the leaders of terrorist group Jaish-e-Muhammaed, which scripted the attack on Pathankot, as a pre-condition for the talks.
The Pakistan Government has said that it is in line with its commitment to New Delhi to effectively counter and eradicate terrorism.
Pakistan condemned the terrorist attack at Pathankot and said that they were working on the ‘leads’ provided by India as a sign of their ‘commitment’.
“We have extended our deepest condolences to the Government and people of India. In line with Pakistan’s commitment to effectively counter and eradicate terrorism, the Government is in touch with the Indian government and is working on the leads provided by it,” Pakistan Foreign Ministry said in statement.
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) had earlier in the day said that it expects cooperation from Islamabad for tracing the perpetrators of the Pathankot attack, saying it was clear that they were from Pakistan on the basis of the calls they made.