Slamming Delhi Lt. Governor Najeeb Jung, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Saturday said all the decisions taken by the Delhi government in the last one and a half years are being rendered “null and void”, leading to chaos.
“This will have serious ramifications for the city and it will send Delhi back by almost two years. But unfortunately, that is exactly what is happening in Delhi,” he said while addressing a press conference here at his residence.
Kejriwal’s remarks come a day after the LG declared Mehboob Alam’s appointment as Delhi Waqf Board CEO illegal and dissolved the religious body on Friday.
Jung has also asked the Delhi government to withdraw its last year’s notification of increasing circle rates of agricultural land in Delhi.
Kejriwal said if there is corruption involved in all those decisions, then the Lt. Governor can get them investigated, but they should not be made null and void just because his consent was not taken.
“We have made many flyovers, now will they be demolished? We constructed 8,000 classrooms. Will they have to be demolished as well,” he asked.
Kejriwal said before the August 4 High Court order, the government took various decisions “legitimately” believing that LG’s consent was not needed for some issues.
The Delhi High Court on August 4 had held that the LG had primacy over the Delhi administration.
“However, LG believed that his consent was needed. Our intention was not wrong while taking those decisions. The court case was going on and now there’s the interpretation that his approval is needed,” Kejriwal said.
He said that in future, decisions will be taken as per orders of the High Court, and whatever order is given by the Supreme Court.
“But I request the Central government not to victimise the people of Delhi,” added Kejriwal.