1. OBC quota protest: Gujarat govt virtually turns down Hardik Patel’s hunger strike condition

OBC quota protest: Gujarat govt virtually turns down Hardik Patel’s hunger strike condition

The Gujarat government has virtually rejected the demand of Hardik Patel and three others that they would end their hunger strike only if Chief Minister Anandiben Patel personally comes to the protest venue, saying it has nothing to do in that regard.

By: | Updated: August 26, 2015 3:25 PM

The Gujarat government has virtually rejected the demand of Hardik Patel and three others that they would end their hunger strike only if Chief Minister Anandiben Patel personally comes to the protest venue, saying it has nothing to do in that regard.

Patidar Anamat Andolan Samiti convenor Patel said that unless Anandiben Patel gives a positive indication about reservation to Patels after she accepts the memorandum from them, the hunger strike will continue.

“I, along with three of our members, are on a hunger strike. We will end our hunger strike only after the chief minister personally comes here to accept our memorandum. Our strike will not end till she accepts our demand,” Hardik Patel told reporters after the rally.

“We expect the Gujarat chief minister to come here in two days. Nikhil Savani is on indefinite hunger strike while me and two others will be here for 48 hours. We will announce our future course of action after that,” Hardik Patel said.

In his reaction, Gujarat Health Minister Nitin Patel, who heads the seven-member committee formed by the Gujarat government to listen to the demands of communities agitating for job reservation quota, said the state government did not have to say anything about the ultimatum.

“Let them sit on hunger strike. The Gujarat government does not have to do anything in that regard,” Patel, who is also the spokesperson of the Gujarat government, said.

Earlier in the morning, the Patel community rally at GMDC ground began like Hardik Patel had originally announced on Monday.

However, during his speech, he suddenly changed his plans and began a hunger strike, demanding that the Gujarat chief minister should come to the venue to accept their memorandum.

  1. A
    anu
    Aug 26, 2015 at 3:30 pm
    Its high time India should wake up now and remove total reservation system in all area.look at other countries how ahead reached. where as we are still with old reservation system on cast based.If any one belong to weaker section of society government should ist financially not on base of caste . Caste is made by man not by god's creation.that's is the reason all our intellectual minds migrate to US or UK where only merit is considered
    Reply
    1. S
      Sam
      Aug 26, 2015 at 3:37 pm
      Give Quota / Reservation to all and then fight for Sub-Quota. What sense does it make for Reservation of Patel's, Baniya's, Rajput's what help will it do? More over people have started taking less interest in studies as they know that since they belong to reserve category they will get admission even @ 45% which they would have not got even after securing 90% in open category. See the irony of the country, the upper caste now want them selves in OBC Lol! What is the need for reservation? It is a system created by Politicians to earn votes from ceratin section of society. Let Gujarat be the 1st state where there is No Reservation at any level and everything is on Merit
      Reply
      1. M
        Malti
        Aug 26, 2015 at 3:56 pm
        reservation system based on caste should have no place in a country in 2015 - yes surely it is the financial status and the marks to determine .
        Reply
        1. H
          Hari
          Aug 26, 2015 at 3:14 pm
          THIS COUNTRY HAS BEEN MADE BANANA REPUBLIC BY CERTAIN ANTI-NATIONAL ELEMENTS. THE GOVT MUST ARREST LEADERS OF AGITATION WHO ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR LARGE SCALE ARSON & LOOTING OF PUBLIC PROPERTY. THIS CAN NOT BE TOLERATED IN CIVILIZED SOCIETY. THOSE WHO ARE INDULGED IN ARSON & LOOTING SHOULD KNOW THAT ALL DAMAGES WILL BE RECOVERED BY GOVT BY IMPOSING TAXES.SO PUBLIC IS THE ULTIMATE LOSER OF THIS WIDE SPREAD ARSON & LOOTING. HARDIK PATEL SHOULD BE BOOKED FOR THIS VIOLENCE & DAMAGE CAUSED TO PUBLIC PROPERTY UNDER NSA. THE PRESENT CM OF GUJARAT SHOULD BE DISMISSED IMMEDIATELY FOR ALLOWING SUCH VIOLENCE IN ALL PARTS OF GUJARAT. THIS IS NOT TIME FOR ANY LAXITY. THE GOVT MUST EXTEND RESERVATION ONLY TO PEOPLE BELOW POVERTY LINE RATHER THAN EXTENDING TO AFFLUENT OF THAT CASTES WHICH IS GROSS INJUSTICE TO POOR OF THAT CASTE. THE PROBLEM OF RESERVATION WILL AUTOMATICALLY SORTED OUT IF AFFLUENT ARE REMOVED ON ECONOMICAL BASIS. THEN POOR WILL GET BENEFIT OF RESERVATION WHICH IS NOT AVAILABLE NOW SINCE AFFLUENT OF THAT CASTE ARE GRABBING ALL RESERVATION QUOTA.
          Reply
        2. R
          Ramesh
          Aug 26, 2015 at 3:21 pm
          I congratulate Gujrat Government for taking firm stand on the issue in spite of knowing that Patel community is BJP supporter. I myself belong to Maratha community. I am really ashamed of the people from Maratha and Patel communities who are demanding reservations from OBC quota. Till yesterday these people were singing virtues of merit and leading anti-reservation agitations. Maratha prided themselves to be from noble caste. Patels are reeling in wealth and 90 % of motels in US are owned by Patels. They are spread worldover and have been successful without reservations. Why they and the Marathas want to equate themselves with SC/STs who really deserve reservations.
          Reply
          1. Load More Comments

          Go to Top