Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday attended the historic Ramlila celebrations in Lucknow, where he addressed the public for the first time since surgical strikes. Making terrorism the centrepoint of his over 20-minute speech, he said terror was the worst enemy of humanity and called upon the world community to speak in one voice against the menace to put an end to it.
Here are top 10 key takeaways from PM Modi’s speech:
1. Terrorism does not have any boundaries: If you think that we are insulated against terrorism, then you are wrong, said PM Modi
2. Those who help terrorists and provide shelter to them can no longer be spared
3. Terrorism is against humanity, it is destroying the world: It will not be possible to save humanity without eradicating terrorism
4. The girl child has left a mark in every area, from studies to sports. Saluting their accomplishments on International Day of the Girl Child
5. We should collectively work towards an India where there is no discrimination based on gender
6. Our daughters made us proud at the Rio Olympics 2016
7. Sometimes, it is the compulsion of the times and situation that makes war necessary. But this is the land of Buddha, not yuddha (war).
8. This festival is about the victory of good over evil. We should strengthen our resolve of removing all our faults when we burn Ravana.
9. The burning of (10-headed) Ravana symbolises that we should remove at least 10 shortcomings in ourselves.
10. We burn Ravana who tortured one Sita. Why can’t we save the Sitas in our homes?