Cabinet reshuffle of the Narendra Modi-led NDA government is expected within the next few days and speculations are rife on which ministers would be shunted out and who would bag vacant posts.
The reshuffle that is likely to take place before PM Narendra Modi embarks on his tour to Africa on July 7. BJP President Amit Shah met PM Narendra Modi on Wednesday, but party sources played down the meeting’s significance.
Here are 5 things that we expect from the Cabinet reshuffle:
1) Uttar Pradesh, which goes to the polls early next year, is likely to get more representation. Yogi Adityanath, Mahesh Sharma, Sanjeev Balyan and Raghav Lakhanpal may bag a berth in the Cabinet, say some reports.
2) Assam’s chief minister Sarbananda Sonowal, who was earlier a Union Minister in the Modi government, has left a vacant spot that is expected to be filled. before he returned to lead the state government. Sonowal was Union Minister for Sports & Youth Affairs.
3) Some news reports suggest that Union Law Minister Sadananda Gowda may be sunted out. Gowda was earlier the Railways Minister before the charge was given to Suresh Prabhu in November 2014.
4) Arjun Meghwal, a senior BJP leader from Rajasthan may be brought in for a key post.
5) Key Cabinet ministers such as FM Arun Jaitley, Home Minister Rajnath Singh, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar, Railways Minister Suresh Prabhu, Power Minister Piyush Goyal, Telecom Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj are likely to retain their posts.