Following media reports claiming that the government had issued order lowering the status of military officers in respect to their civilian counterparts in the Armed Forces Headquarters, the Ministry of Defence has today clarified their stand on the matter, claiming that there had been no down-gradation or any change in the existing equivalence of the Service ranks or their civilian counterparts.
“It’s clarified that there has been no down-gradation or change in existing equivalence of Service ranks of Military officers whatsoever. The existing functional equivalence as clarified in 1991 and further reiterated in 1992, 2000, 2004 and 2005 has only been re-affirmed,” said the Ministry of Defence in a statement to ANI.
Quoting a letter dated October 18, 2016, issued by the Ministry of Defence, the minstry said “are erroneously stating that the equivalence has been disturbed and status of Service officers has been downgraded.”
According to the letter, Armed Forces Civil Services will be handled by a major general instead of a brigadier while a director-rank officer, earlier equated with a Colonel, will be ranked with a brigadier.
On Tuesday, the Defence minister asserted that he will look into allegations on bureaucrats attempting to downgrade service ranks of forces.