Major General (Retd.) S.K. Chakravorty, who was behind the planning and execution of Operation Ginger along the Line of Control (LoC), on Sunday said that the 2011 strike was a revenge attack carried out by the Indian Army after Pakistan staged two cross-border surgical strikes in which at least 13 soldiers were killed.
“They (Pakistan) first conducted an operation, but action was done from their side. To take revenge of that, this operation was conducted,” he told ANI.
Major General (Retd.) admitted that all details which have come up regarding the 2011 operation was true and said that even the then DGMO and the then Army Chief General V.K. Singh had information about it.
However, he refused to discuss further details. It was reported earlier that the Indian Army had carried out surgical strikes across the LoC in 2011, in retaliation to a surprise attack on an army post in Gugaldhar ridge in Kupwara in July 2011 which led to the death of 13 soldiers and beheading of six of them. In revenge, the Indian Army planned Operation Ginger.