On questions over the public disclosure of the surgical strikes, in a parliamentary panel on external affairs, Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar said ‘limited-calibre, target-specific, counter-terrorist operations’ had been carried out before by the Indian Army but never came to the public knowlege.
Addressing the panel headed by Congress MP Shashi Tharoor, the foreign secretary told the Pakistan Director General of Military Operations was informed soon after the Indian Army executed the September 29 strike.
Over demands of evidences of the strikes by a member of the panel, S Jaishankar said the Indian Army crossed the Line of Control (LoC) to destroy terrorist launch pads in the neighbouring coutry and not to collect evidences of their operation.
Th foreign secretary asserted that the surgical strike by the Indian Army had served the purpose of the country for now and indicated that the army will carry out further strikes if the neighbouring country engage in sponsoring terror activities in the future again.
Replying to panel head Shashi Tharoor’s question on China blocking India’s attempt to designate Jaish-e-Mohammad as a global terror outfit by the United Nations, Jaishankar said the government is working on that issue.
On September 29, the Indian Army carried out surgical strikes across the LoC in Pakistan, destroying several terror launch pads and killing at least 38 terrorists, in a response to the Uri attacks, where four heavily armed terrorists attacked the army bases in the Uri district of Kashmir, killing 18 Indian Army jawans.