Spokesperson of the Ministry of External Affairs, Gopal Baglay on Thursday addressed a press conference in Delhi and spoke about the diplomatic situation in the Kulbhushan Jadhav death sentence case. Baglay informed the media that the Indian government had made 16th request to Pakistan for consular access to Kulbhushan Jadhav. He said that the government had informed Pakistan that Jadhav’s mother wanted a visa to meet her son. On being asked if India would be scoring a 100 in requests that sought consular access to Jadhav, Baglay said that the ministry would have ideally wanted to get ‘out on 0’.
The MEA spokesperson also informed reporters that the government was yet to receive any charge sheet against Kulbhushan Jadhav. He said that the government did not even know who had defended him in the military court that had given him the death sentence. Earlier, after India had failed to get consular access to Jadhav, Pakistan Army spokesman, Major General Asif Ghafoor had said that no consular access could be granted to Jadhav as he was a ‘spy’. Pakistan Foreign Office had said that all due judicial processes had been followed during Jadhav’s trials. It released a statement saying that he was provided with a lawyer in accordance with the laws and the Constitution of Pakistan.
Pakistan has claimed that Kulbhushan Jadhav had been arrested by its security forces from Balochistan on March 3, 2016. The not-so-friendly neighbours had also claimed that Jadhav was a serving officer in the Indian Navy. Pakistan had even gone on to release a “confessional video” after his arrest. The authenticity of the video however still remains in question. India, however, has denied all these allegations, stating that Jadhav had been kidnapped by Pakistan authorities.