The Ministry of External Affairs on Saturday said that the Indian national, who was arrested in China for alleged terror links, has been released and would be arriving in New Delhi very shortly.
“Indian citizen, who had been detained in China, has been permitted to leave for India. As you know our embassy in Beijing worked proactively to resolve this issue. Last evening, he was brought from Inner Mongolia to Beijing by road. Our embassy officials were granted consular access and had a meeting with him,” MEA official spokesperson Vikas Swarup told ANI.
“And in the early hours of this morning, he was permitted to depart from Beijing. Embassy officials were at the airport at the time of departure and to the best of my knowledge he should be arriving in India very shortly,” he added.
Indian national Rajiv Mohan Kulshrestha, who travelled along with 19 other foreigners from Gift of the Givers, a South African charity, was taken into custody at Ordos’s in China’s Inner Mongolia province on July 10 for allegedly watching videos of a banned terror group in their hotel rooms.
46-year-old Kulshrestha was brought to Beijing last evening before being allowed to leave for India.