According to an Indian Air Force (IAF) release, a Sukhoi-30 MKI fighter aircraft has been missing since 11:10 AM yesterday. The aircraft which took off from the Tezpur Air Force Base went missing 60 kms northeast of Tezpur. ANI reports that the missing aircraft has not been found even after two days of extensive search. The report also mentions that search operations have been hampered because of inclement weather. The fighter aircraft was inducted in the IAF in 1997. The IAF has lost seven Sukhois in the last eight years, according to a PTI report. Here is a list of crashes from the past involving the Sukhoi-30:
1) The first Sukhoi-30 fighter aircraft wearing the IAF livery crashed on April 20, 2009 in Jaisalmer, Rajasthan killing the pilot and seriously injuring the other pilot.
2) The next Sukhoi-30 crash was on November 30 of the same year, while on a training sortie South-West of Pokhran ranges. The two pilots Wing Commander Srivastava and Flight Lieutenant Arora managed to bail out safely.
3) The third Sukhoi-30 aircraft crashed soon after taking off from Lohegaon airbase in Pune, Maharashtra on December 13, 2011. Both pilots ejected safely
4) A Sukhoi fighter aircraft crashed on February 19, 2013, in Jaisalmer, both pilots ejected safely.
5) On October 14, 2014, a Sukhoi jet crashed close to a village near Pune. Both the pilot and the co-pilot were unharmed.
6) A Sukhoi fighter crashed in a village in Barmer district of Rajasthan injuring 3 people on the ground, on March 15, 2017.
7) Another Sukhoi aircraft which took off from Tezpur airbase crashed in Nagaon district of Assam. Both pilots ejected safely.