President Pranab Mukherjee conveyed condolences for the second terror attack in Bangladesh. President wrote a letter to the President of Bangladesh in which he condemned the unfortunate attack in his letter.
“I am shocked and distressed to hear about the terrorist attack in Kishoreganj, Bangladesh, today (Thursday) on Eid. I condemn the perpetrators of this attack in the strongest of terms,” the President said in a statement.
This is the second terrorist attack in a week in Bangladesh, he said.
Extending his support to the neighbouring country, Mukherjee said “The people and government are engaged in a brave struggle against the evil forces of extremism and violence.”
“The government of India will strongly stand by our brothers and sisters of Bangladesh in this fight. We will extend every support possible to enable the Bangladesh government defeat these forces whose goal is to spread hatred, chaos and instability” he added.
Earlier this day, bombs exploded near an Eid prayer gathering in Sholakia in Kishoreganj district where at least 200,000 people had gathered. According to the local police one constable died and at least six others were injured.
Calling it a terrorist strike, Bangladesh I&B Minister Hasanul Haq Inu said, “They are out to create disturbance. It is a political attack to topple & oust the secular government of Sheikh Hasina.”
In a recent development, a special team of NSG officers will be travelling to Bangladesh to “analyse and study” the bombings and the recent terror siege at a high-end restaurant in Dhaka.