In wake of rising air pollution in Delhi-NCR, the National Green Tribunal (NGT) on Monday ordered all roadside mixing plants to be closed immediately.
Lawyer Balendu Shekhar told ANI, “It was today listed for hearing in NGT. In that matter, the court today had said to DPCC (Delhi Pollution Control Committee) , MoEF (Ministry of Environment and Forests) and CPCB (Central Pollution Control Board) to seal all the machineries whosoever is using a hot mixing plant on the road, or using any such stone crasher chips.”
“Even the police have said that they are expected to give adequate support to all three departments, whosoever has been assigned to seize their machineries,” he added.
Shekhar said, “NGT has also asked the Delhi Government to furnish details of points for entry and exit of vehicles. The Delhi Government has said that in compliance of the NGT order, we have not been able to deploy our manpower at all the points. However, at this juncture, we have deployed our manpower at seven points.”
” To scrutinize and to get the actual details, the NGT has appointed several advocates as local commissioners, who will do surprise visits to all those seven points to assess whether the stand taken by the Delhi Government is true or not,” he added.
“On that basis, day after tomorrow, this is expected to come to the court, and on that day, court may pronounce a final judgment,” he said.
Air pollution levels in 80 per cent of the city fluctuate between satisfactory to moderate, while these levels are bad in the remaining 20 per cent, according to the recent Air Quality Index (AQI) maintained by the Union Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF).