The aircraft with two aircrew had taken off from IAF’s Tezpur air base for a routine training sortie when it went missing. Attempts to locate it have not been successful. Here is what we know so far about the incident:
1. The fighter jet took off from Tezpur around 10:30 AM yesterday and lost radar and radio contact with the aircraft when it was flying 60 km North East of the city, added Lt Col Purohit, according to the Indian Express.
2. Search operations, involving helicopters, are underway to locate the missing aircraft and the aircrew – they are aged between 25 and 30. The air force has not disclosed the identity of the missing pilots. This was revealed by Lt Col Sombit Ghosh of the Army’s Tezpur-based IV Corps to the PTI.
3. The Indian Air Force has said that the aircraft was flying as a part of a two a two aircraft formation before it went missing.
You can also watch
4. The last radar and radio contact with the plane was made close to 11.10 AM while the fighter was flying over Dubia in Gohpur sub-division of Biswanath district, adjacent to Sonitpur district of Assam, revealed Sonitpur Deputy Commissioner (DC) Manoj Kumar Deka .
5. All sub-divisions in the district and all village headmen have been asked to provide any information about the missing aircraft to the district authorities, Deka added. Besides this the Sonitpur DC has requested officials in Biswanath district, bordering Arunachal Pradesh to pass on any available information, as reported by PTI.